Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Translator


The first time I ever preached with a translator was in Brazil. To say I was nervous would be an understatement. There is a difference when your words are being translated into a different language and a different culture. I had questions about my message; Would the illustrations cross over to this culture? Would the subject matter be of interest or useful to the people of Corumba, Brazil? I was the one on our team with the least amount of overseas experience (none) and yet I was chosen to preach the very first sermon, on a Sunday Morning to a local church. I was honored but so nervous. I still remember after the service one of the men who spoke both English and Portuguese said to me, "Dwyndl, you preached a really good sermon, but your translator preached an outstanding sermon." I didn't fully appreciate that statement until I became a Missonary and learned to speak Spanish.

During my time in Nicaragua I would often use translators. I learned that there is a difference in Translating and Interpreting what is said. One will say almost word for word what is said, while the other will take the idea and communicate it in such a way that the other person, in a different culture, with a different mindset and view of life, can understand it best.

Lately I've been going through some struggles. Those who read my posts on Facebook seem to have noticed because I've received several comments and notes of encouragment and prayer, which I greatly appreciate. However, I've found myself in a strange situation; I have several times attmepted to pray but can't get any words out. That's not a normal thing for me. Coming up with words is not a problem that I face on a regular basis.  The wrong words may come out of my mouth before I think it through and often times way too many words are in my mouth, but I always have something to say, even when I'm being quiet. But lately, I have experienced many prayer times where I simply sit crying and telling God that I don't know what to say.

Romans 8:26-28 says, "26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God. 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

We love to quote verse 28 because we want all things to work out, but when we read the 2 verses prior that promise we see HOW things are working out for our good. It's not because our prayers are so awesome, it's because the Power of Holy Spirit of God is so awesome. It's because HE is asking what we would be asking if we had the full knowledge of an almighty and all-loving God. Sometimes we only THINK we know what we want and/or what we are praying for. We pray specifically and expect God to answer in accordance with what WE are thinking, but the Holy Spirit knows better than we know what we really need or even want.

The Holy Spirit takes our groans and confusion and our misunderstandings of what We think is best and, like an Interpreter who translates for someone else to understand, HE Interprets and intercedes for us to the Father. This is so incredibly awesome because in the end we end up with something so much better than what we had intended. Just like my sermon can be made better by a man who is able to interpret my words into a language and culture that I don't fully understand, my prayers can be interpreted by the Holy Spirit to a Holy God who will take those prayers and answer according to what is best for me.

I still don't have clear answers as to what God is about to do in my life or the life of my family, but I have found peace in knowing that God knows. Although I don't have sufficient words to explain my thoughts, fears or desires, God knows what I desire, He knows what I need and He knows the plans He has for me. I am so grateful to have such an amazing translator speaking to God when I simply don't have a clue what to say. What an honor that He would love me that much!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful and awesomely true this is. We forget sometimes all the behind the scenes work the Holy Spirit does on our behalf....this was a wonderful of TRANSLATING what the Holy Spirit does for us if we will just be still and Know He is God! You and the family are in my prayers Uncle

    ReplyDelete